Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Winter: Yaktrax Snow Shoe



Yaktrax makes a bunch of different footwear for snow and ice. These are the best for normal people. I am now in Canada and I walk to work. When it snows up here, the snow gets about as deep as a deck of cards. Not too much deeper. Today, however, it's deeper, because it snowed the last few days.
On shallow snow, these things are fantastic. On Ice, they rule. I can walk like I'm on carpet, while everyone else is slipping all over the place.
On deep snow, you get a little extra grip, but slipping is no longer a problem. It's the trudging through the deep snow that's the pain. The deeper the snow, the less useful these things are.

The rubber makes them easy to put on and take off. You only need one hand to do either.
I was afraid of the rubber stretching or breaking, but they haven't so far, and I've had them for 2 months now.

These things are made for snow, and Ice. You can put them on inside, but walking on carpet, is bad for the carpet. Walking on tile, or wood floors, is bad for you. Any benefit they give you on ice, is now the opposite on tile.

So you have to choose. Are you going to be walking more on ice, or deep snow, or tile floors with these things? If you choose "ice", then buy these. They work, and it looks like I'll get a whole season out of these things before they snap.

-Bradley

No comments: